Friday, September 7, 2012

What's New with the Cavanaugh's!

It's been a while since I have given y'all an update, so before the holiday season begins, here's what's new with us!


Matt is still working hard and continuing to be a valued employee of Discount Tire. He is looking forward to doing sales this winter and hopefully saving his hands from freezing outside like last year! Since he is such a hard worker, his boss picked him to do a Drive & Learn. Basically that means he got paid for a day of racing BMWs to test different tires. Yep, he LOVED it! :) And, he so deserved it!

He also recently sold his Jeep. Last September he bought it up here for commute to and from work. He originally bought it for 2,000 and put some work into making it more reliable. Overall it was a good vehicle for the past year and almost always met our needs. However, with the nature of Discount Tire,he could be transferred to a further store within days notice. With that, Matt needed something a bit more reliable and with better gas mileage. So he listed his Jeep for sale and researched old Toyota 4 Runners. What's more reliable than a Toyota? Really? Thankfully, that same week, he sold the Jeep for asking price (with profit)and purchased a reliable 4 runner at a great deal! 
 
(Sold Jeep - It didn't look this good when he bought it!)


 (New Toyota!)

I am so thankful for a husband that doesn't mind buying beat up vehicles and can turn them into a profit! That's real talent! Not to mention, he saves us so much money by sacrificing and not demanding a brand new sports car. I really can't be thankful enough for him!

As for me, I am starting my 3rd semester in the Counseling program at Denver Seminary. Although, it feels like my 4th since I took summer courses and practicum. Seeing clients this summer was definitely a growing experience and a highlight of my program so far. I was able to experience counseling with a wide variety of clients and really enjoyed working with them all. However, through counseling a couple, I realized that I am very drawn towards marriage counseling. So I will be pursuing an internship next summer where I can specialize in couple and marriage counseling! Then I will hopefully graduate Dec 13 and start my supervised work towards a license.

I also am continuing my nanny job this year with the now 6 year old boy. I have been so blessed by his family and their generosity to us. While some nannies really struggle to find a good fit with a family, God provided the perfect one on the first try! I am looking forward to this year with them and thankful I can contribute to our financial needs as well.

While we both miss our friends and family back home, we have been blessed with friends and a church family here. We have really plugged in with our young marrieds class and are enjoying the new friendships we are creating. This fall, I will be a part of a bible study with the ladies in our group and also helping coordinate some fun events! We both will be participating in a marriage mentorship program at the church as well. We look forward to continuing the accountability and discipleship we had in Texas during our engagement (Thanks to the Hammond's and Hickman's!). 

(Just love those crossed-eyes!)
Finally, Olive is a very content little girl and sleeps most of the day on her recliner. She also has finally gone on a hiking adventure with us and seems to need more exercise. However, she is very smart and would walk fast in the sunny spots on the trail, but go at a snails pace in the shade! We also finally have her completely kennel trained. Yay! Now we are still working on her anxiety around strangers, bikes, other dogs and anything else that freaks her out. :) Nevertheless, she brings a lot of joy to our lives in so many ways and we are thankful we adopted her!   

To all our friends and family back home...across the U.S. and across seas...we miss you all and appreciate the prayers and support while we are here!

No comments:

Post a Comment