Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Finding Your Green Thumb! Part 2

Here is the second part of my gardening series

So after picking out my tomato plant, I decided it would be fun to grow my own herbs and lettuce as well. First, I decided on three herbs that we use frequently throughout the week - Rosemary, Basil, and Parsley. Then we picked out two different kinds of lettuce. 


We decided to grow our herbs and lettuce together because they grow well together and need the same amount of sunlight.
However, when you plant your herbs and lettuce, you have to TRANSPLANT THEM DIFFERENTLY! 

Tip #1 - When transplanting your lettuce, you first need to harvest the greens it already has. To do this, cut the lettuce 1 1/2 inches from the new soil line.


We did this with both kinds of our lettuce and they have grown back even more than before!

Tip #2 - When transplanting herbs, no harvesting is needed! Just position you herbs in the pot and fill it in with soil.

We have harvested our herbs for cooking about once a week and they have grown back very well! 

Finally, Tip #3 - When positioning plants in your yard, on your porch, or balcony, you need to know how much sunlight there is in each spot. 


When we set up our balcony, I kept an eye on how much sun our plants were getting. I noticed that the tomato plant was only getting partial sunlight and needed more full sunlight. Now I have propped the tomato plant up higher and it receives full sun! Our lettuce and herbs have been growing so well that I think their sunlight is the perfect amount. 

I hope you have enjoyed a view of our first balcony garden and will try out your green thumb and plant a garden yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment